As the year draws to a close, I am writing to ask for your renewed support of the Institute for American Values. No other organization in America does the work we do:
- Our work has convinced scholars, policy makers, and citizens that when it comes to child outcomes, two parents are better than one. This year we've:
- Highlighted the collapse of marriage among non-college-educated Americans (read NY Times article);
- Revealed how cohabitation has replaced divorce as the largest unrecognized threat to the quality and stability of children’s family lives (read NY Times article);
- Challenged, for the first time, that reproductive techniques and practices -- "intentional parenthood" -- are good for children, with the publication of One Parent or Five (read more);
- Influenced a major court decision in British Columbia with our report, My Daddy's Name is Donor, effectively making the anonymous trade in sperm and eggs no longer permissible in that province.
- We've worked to renew democratic capitalism and the American middle-class by re-establishing marriage and thrift as achievable goals. This year we've:
- Hosted a Thrift leaders Roundtable in Philadelphia with over eighty community leaders and launched the return of National Thrift Week in conjunction with Philadelphia mayor Michael Nutter. (Read more here.)
- Worked with our partner organization Stop Predatory Gambling to shed light on and ultimately end state-sponsored gambling. (Watch video here.)
- Provided research support and strategic advice to successfully combat anti-thrift institutions in Texas. (Read more here.)
- We engaged in the difficult task of seeking understanding and common ground with our Arab counterparts.
- We published Three Views of Oman: Wilfred Thesiger, Charles Butt, and Edward Grazda Society and Religion 1945–2006. The book, as well as the accompanying exhibition, suggest that individuals as much as civilizations bring their uniqueness to the challenge of Anglo-American and Arab cultural engagement. (More)
As this year ends, will you provide a gift of $25, $50, $100, $250 (or more if your means permit)? Your investment in the Institute for American Values makes a difference. A great deal has been accomplished, but much work still needs to be done and we need your support.
Please consider making a year-end gift to the Institute today. If you would like to discuss making a year-end tax-free distribution from your IRA account, please contact us at 212-246-3942.
P.S. If you would like to receive more information about the Institute, including our monthly Institute in the Public Square and our quarterly publication Propositions, contact us at:
1841 Broadway, Suite 211
New York, NY 10023
Subscribe to: Propositions
Subscribe to: Institute in the Public Square